Friday, September 7, 2012

Book Review: Unfluffy books, part 2: Girl, Interrupted




Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen

“Are you crazy? It’s a common phrase, I know. But it means something particular to me: the tunnels, the security screens, the plastic forks, the shimmering, ever-shifting borderline that like all boundaries beckons and asks to be crossed. I do not want to cross it again” (159). 

The first thing I have to say about this book is don't try to expect it. You can't, even if you've heard about it from your friends or on Goodreads; even if you've seen the movie (although admittedly I've only watched a bit of it) this book is starkly and consciously shocking. 

(For the record, I've had no experience with anything similar to Susanna's experience.)

Two things have kept this story fresh over the 15+ years since it's been published (and around 50 years since it happened). The first-- Susanna's story is certainly unsettling and evocative, especially as psychology evolves and treatments for depression, bipolar disorder, etc evolve farther away from what's written about here. The second is the writing. Girl, Interrupted could easily be a novel--I have to repeatedly remind myself that it's not, due to the sense of plot, and vivid past tense narration that will keep you enthralled through the whole story. It's probably a good thing that this book is nonfiction, otherwise I'd need to spend half the review rambling about the incredibly developed, distinct-voiced characters, and the vivid setting. A partial lack of author voice that reveals a whole new layer to the character, format--the narration skips between memories, sarcastic yet curiously blank lists and definitions, and deliberate side-notes, like small personal reflections scattered through the book. It may take several tries to let yourself be sucked into this book, pushing down the sense of foreboding in your stomach and ignoring your tumblr and Facebook notifications, settling into Susanna's quiet but bold voice as she pulls you under with her.

I'd recommend this book for ages 16 and up. The book is fairly disturbing in content--not a lot of language or smoking/drinking, but the twisted stories of the characters aren't appropriate for younger readers. (I'm guessing my own opinion of this book will evolve over time--I'm hoping to do another review of this book in a few years.) It's helpful if you're one of those lucky people who's able to keep their social/work lives and reading lives separate: As with The Fault In Our Stars, by John Green, the power of this book left me slightly traumatized and wobbly for a few days after I read it. 

Other things I liked about this book:

  • The short length of the book matched the at-times harsh brevity of its voice. It makes the content more digestible for readers. 
  • While exploring the stories and minds of her fellow patients, the author eloquently combines fact about their backgrounds and actions with her own musings on their situations.
  • The cover of my edition matches the story perfectly. Just as striking as the book itself, the cover mirrors the shattered story inside, told in pieces of an isolated life.
  • Even though Susanna's story is completely different from that of most readers, there are sudden moments where we can completely empathize with her.

Happy reading--see you on Monday!
M. Gabrielle

No comments: